- a Western Slavonic language, related to Polish and Slovak
- about 11M speakers, most of them are in Czechia.
- uses the Latin alphabet with some diacritics (acute accent, hacek and ring)
- has a rich and complex inflection (e.g. nouns: 7 cases, 3(+1) genders, 2(+1) numbers, many paradigms and many exceptions)
- the word order is very free and is used to express topic-focus articulation (and definiteness)
- largely influenced by German (mostly in the lexicon)
- the colloquial version of Czech has a slightly different morphology (simpler) and lexicon than the official one
Software, Corpora, etc.
Prague Dependency Treebank
- morphologically and syntactically annotated corpus (about 2 MWo)
Online Access to Syntax Annotation,
Czech National Corpus
Prague Czech-English Dependency Treebank
- paralel corpus (translation of 20K sentences from Penn Treebank 3 and 50K sentences from Reader's Digest)
Czech Academic Corpus -- 550 KWo from 1970s and 1980s.
Czech Literary Anthology at Brown with translations and audio.
Online Morphological generator /
analyzer and tagger (currently not working)
Czech Free Morphology Download
Markov Model tagger,
Xerox Czech demos - tokenization, morph. analysis, POS disambiguation
Lexical Annotation Workbench
Guide to Czech Parsing
Tree viewers and editors
Tree Editor TrEd
- A graphical editor and viewer of trees and annotation tool for Windows, Linux and Unix systems written in Perl.
- A graphical editor and viewer of trees and annotation tool for Windows.
- viewer of online syntax (surface and deep) trees
PDT format to Penn Treebank format conversion
SGML <-> FS
Dependency trees <-> PS trees
Compact tags <->Positional tags
Valex - Valency Lexicon of Czech Verbs
a list at Seznam,
Links to various English-Czech dictionaries
- automatic generation of CAD/CAM manuals in Czech, Bulgarian, Russian and English.
Czech at wiki,
Czech at BBC,
Czech Lessons at Local Lingo,
Czech at UCLA,
Czech at Ethnologue,
Gustav pro jazyk českýCz,
SlovoDneCz (Fred's Czech Mate - section in English)
at Bohemica (
Czech on Language links,
Czech on computersCz,
Czech at WWW pagesCz,
Czech - English Translation Problems,
Czech keyboard layout,
How not to do a translator: